Parenthood journey is always filled with joy and begins with a confinement period. We believe that mothers should not face confinement alone. While the father is away, a confinement nanny would be the best company for a mother. She helps the mother to go through the changes of role and responsibility.
A well-trained and experienced nanny can give various useful advice on how to take care of the baby and mother. Eventually, hiring a nanny may become a needs for a mother and the family. Now, before your nanny arrives at your house, there are a few things you need to prepare.
The main role of a confinement nanny is taking care of your little one. When your nanny arrives at your house, that means your daily necessities will be taken care of. Getting ready for the arrival of your little one might be a bit tiring, but it is exciting. Of course, we would always advise the father to be part of the preparation process. There is a long list to prepare for baby including:
- Feeding and cleaning equipment (e.g. feeding bottles, sterilizer)
- Nursing and storage equipment (e.g. breast pump, milk storage bag)
- Bathing products (e.g. bathtub, powder puffs)
- Healthcare products (e.g. nasal aspirator, nail clippers)
- Baby outfit (e.g. mittens and booties, binder)
- Baby laundry detergent (e.g. detergent and softener)
- Diapering essentials (e.g. nappy cream, changing mat)
- Bedding (e.g. baby cot, blankets and comforters)
One of the job scopes of nanny is taking care of the mother’s confinement meals. Usually, your nanny will cook 3 meals a day for you. Other than that, she will prepare red dates tea and bathing herbs (if any). In order to smooth the preparation of daily meals and cooking process, we highly advise you or your partner to prepare some groceries.
- Vegetables, meat and fish – so that mother have balanced nutrition during the confinement period.
- Herbal herbs – to prepare meals and to cook herbal soup for mother for a faster recovery.
- Red dates – to cook red dates tea as a replacement of water.
These are some of the basic groceries that need to be prepared. Certain ingredients such as dried scallop and wine are optional depending on your preference.
Room for Nanny
Your nanny needs to rest too. Before she arrives, you will need to arrange a room for her as she will be staying at your house during your confinement period. Although she is hired to take care of you and your baby, she needs to have enough rest to perform the daily job.
Prepare a room for nanny which is the same room or nearby your baby’s room. She will be able to take care of your baby if your baby cries in the midnight.
Most of the nannies who work in Singapore are foreigners. Some mothers might not know that hiring a nanny needs to apply for work permit. To apply for the confinement nanny work permit, employer which is you will need to submit the application form and pay government levy. If you are hiring a nanny from an agency, the agency will assist with the application of work permit.
Get yourself mentally and physically prepared while waiting for your little one to come. Family members and father can always volunteer to help with all the preparation. You will not prefer to have last-minute preparation to welcome your little one!