What is the first thing that crosses your mind upon the mention of ‘confinement food’? Do you picture a bland, traditional food packed with all kinds of strong-tasting herbs? If you do, you would be delightfully surprised as you read on!
Contrary to popular belief, there are actually a lot of things you could have as a new mother. Your foods can be tasty, sweet, colourful, and fun! You just have to ensure that you gain all the necessary nutrients.
Is finding a good confinement food recipe difficult for you? If that’s the case, fret not! Below, we have compiled some of the tastiest food recipes you can easily make in your kitchen! In case you are wondering, yes, they are also breastfeeding-friendly and lactation-boosting!
3 tbsp of white wine vinegar
A pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper
A quarter cup of extra-virgin olive oil
6 fresh corns
2 cups of tomato cherries
8 ounces of fresh mozzarella
1 bunch of scallions
1½ cup of fresh basil leaves
- Whisk together the vinegar, salt, and pepper in a bowl while gradually adding in the oil.
- Shear off the corn kernels in a bowl. Toss in the tomatoes, mozzarella, and scallions.
- Pour the whisked dressing over the salad and toss to coat evenly. Let stand for at least 15 minutes.
- Tear the basil leaves over the salad and toss before serving!
12 ounces of salmon fillet, cut into 4 pieces
Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to around 230°C
- Season salmon with salt and pepper
- Place salmon with the skin side down on a non-stick baking sheet. Bake until it is cooked through for about 12 to 15 minutes. Best served with squash.
2 tbsp of olive oil
1 cup of finely chopped onion
(½) cup of finely chopped carrot
(½) cup of chopped celery
2 tsp of kosher salt
1 pound of lentils, picked and rinsed
1 cup of peeled and chopped tomatoes
2 quarts of chicken or vegetable broth
(½) tsp of freshly ground coriander
(½) tsp of freshly ground toasted cumin
(½) tsp of freshly ground grains of paradise
- Place the olive oil into a large 6-quart Dutch oven and set over medium heat
- Once hot, add the onion, carrot, celery, and salt. Once the onions are translucent after about 7 minutes, add the lentils, tomatoes, broth, coriander, cumin, and grains of paradise. Stir evenly.
- Increase the heat to high and bring just to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook at a low simmer until the lentils are tender for about 40 minutes. Puree to your preferred consistency. Serve immediately.
Chia Seed Pudding
1 cup of vanilla-flavoured unsweetened almond milk
1 cup of plain low-fat Greek vegan yoghurt
2 tbsp of pure maple syrup, plus another 4 tsp for serving
1 tsp of pure vanilla extract
¼ cup of chia seeds
1 pint of strawberries, hulled and chopped
¼ cup of sliced almonds, toasted
- In a medium-sized bowl, gently whisk the almond milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt until just blended.
- Add in chia seeds and let stand for 30 minutes. Stir to distribute the seeds evenly.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, toss the berries in with the remaining maple syrup. Mix the almonds in and serve.
3 tbsp of olive oil
1(¼) tsp of kosher salt
½ tsp of freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp of minced parsley
- Preheat the oven to 205°C
- Cut the carrots into haves lengthwise and cut diagonally into 1½-inch-thick slices.
- Toss them in a bowl with olive oil, salt, and pepper
- Transfer to a sheet pan in one even layer and roast in the oven for about 20 minutes until they turn browned and tender.
- Toss the carrots with minced parsley and serve!
Credit: Food Network
See, who says confinement food recipe only has to comprise traditional dishes with complicated and long preparation steps? In fact, you can have almost any food you want as long as they give you the essential and required nutritional values!
Not planning to go anywhere near the kitchen during confinement? No worries! Have your partner or an experienced family member prepare confinement meals for you. If these recipes teach you anything, it is that making confinement meals do not have to be difficult or time-consuming! Other options you could go for are by subscribing for confinement meal delivery or getting your own confinement lady who can personally cook and care for you!